“I desire you would
Remember the Ladies, and be more generous and favourable to them than your
ancestors.” Abigail Adams wrote the above in a letter to her husband, John
Adams in 1776. Abigail Adams was an extremely opinionated feminist who clearly
wanted more rights for women. Women during this time period had very limited
rights and had to act in a servile manner to their husbands. What Abigail Adams
believed was revolutionary and was something that was looked down upon during
her time. The misogynistic idea of women being beneath men was prevalent more
than a century before Abigail Adams, in the times of Puritan America. When we read
John Winthrop’s speech on liberty in American Literature, I was able to see
that women had very few rights. John Winthrop’s speech made it clear that oppression
towards women was not only okay, but was something with which women had to agree.
Furthermore, he talked about how the husband is allowed to yell at, scold, and
even hit his wife when he feels like and made this viewpoint seem so casual and
commonplace. These two passages we read in American Literature and American
Studies have shown me how far back the ideas of misogyny and patriarchy go. I noticed this connection between American
Studies and American Literature because my Puritan ideals essay is about
patriarchy and oppression of women. In fact, this leads me to wonder why women
were considered beneath men in the first place? What did we, women, do to
deserve oppression?
I like where you took this entry, and I share some of your thoughts as well. I honestly wonder why these superiorities in society are engraved into our structure. Patriarchy is something that is often discussed but never resolved, and it is baffling as these issues and more have yet to come to an end when they shouldn't have been an issue to begin with.
ReplyDelete